Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Long Hair Don't Care (Hairfinity vs. Biotin/MSM)


Hairfinity, what is it?

Hairfinity is a vitamin supplement. Along with all the good stuff you would expect to find in a typical multivitamin, Hairfinity also contains higher doses of Biotin, MSM (not typically found in multivitamins), and a special complex of amino acids – said to promote healthy hair growth. Hairfinity boasts that use will promote a healthy scalp, increased hair elasticity, increased hair strength, and overall hair health.

Did Hairfinity work?

During the fall of 2013 I decided to embark on a “Healthy Hair Journey” and integrated Hairfinity into my healthy hair regimen (if you’d like to know more about this comment below).  I used Hairfinity for approximately three months, during which I experienced hair growth of about a ½ an inch per month. Using Hairfinity, I also noticed my hair appeared healthier, stronger, and thicker. Although I was happy with my Hairfinity results and excited to see my hair growing faster, I realized this could be equally attributed to a healthy lifestyle change (healthy diet and regular exercise) – also proven to improve hair health and increase hair growth). In addition, I hoped to find a cheaper alternative as Hairfinity sells for a not so cheap $24 a bottle . . . spendy considering my law student budget.

Alternatives . . . 


MSM, what is it?

MSM (methylsulfonylmethan) is an organic form of sulfur, found naturally in several foods such as milk and green vegetables. You may also find MSM as a supplement in the aisles of your local drugstore or health food store. As a supplement, MSM has been used to promote hair growth and reduce hair shedding. So how does it do it you ask? Well, sulfur is needed to produce the proteins that make up our hair and MSM has been said to lengthen the growth phase of the hair cycle . . . VOILA faster growing, longer hair!

Biotin, what is it?

Biotin is a naturally occurring vitamin also known as vitamin B7 or vitamin H. Biotin can be found in foods such as green leafy vegetables and egg yolks, or as a supplement in the aisles of your local drugstore or health food store. As a supplement, biotin has been used to boost hair growth and promote stronger, healthier hair. Additionally, biotin has been proven to improve production of keratin, the protein that makes up our hair . . . so yes hair growth guaranteed!

Did Biotin and MSM work?

After 3 months on Hairfinity, I switched to using a combination of 5,000 mcg of Biotin and 1,000 mg of MSM and yes, it worked! I found my results using the combination of Biotin and MSM comparable to those I experienced using Hairfinity Not to mention I was able to find both supplements at my local CVS for $8 a bottle. Oh and not to mention, there was BOGO deal on supplements at my local CVS . . . ding ding ding ding I WIN!

2 comments :

  1. The only complaint I have about biotin is that I noticed the hair on my body started getting longer. Weird, I know, but my arm hair actually grew...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jbrook, I've heard complaints of body hair growth from others too. I haven't experienced it myself, but I'd suggest trying a lower dosage of Biotin or prenatal vitamins (high in B vitamins).

      Delete